Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Cedric Benson to meet with Goodell

CINCINNATI - NOVEMBER 8: Cedric Benson #32 of the Cincinnati Bengals runs against the Baltimore Ravens at Paul Brown Stadium on November 8, 2009 in Cincinnati, Ohio.  (Photo by John Sommers II/Getty Images)
Bengals RB Cedric Benson is scheduled to meet with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell on Thursay according to ProFootballTalk.com. Benson was arrested in Austin, Texas in late may and charged with assault. Benson was accused of punching a bartender and spitting blood on another bar employee.
Marvin Lewis came out in support of Benson on Bengals.com stating, "Cedric got attacked in a bar. Only because it was Cedric Benson does it become news. I think that's something you have to understand. I don't know why we're even talking about Cedric being suspended a game. I don't even know why we're bringing it up. To me it's unbelievable. It wouldn't be brought up in 31 other cities in the country I think."
I don't think the NFL is specifically targeting the Cincinnati Bengals, but I do think the allegations around Benson are interesting. The timing of the meeting is interesting because the case has not been resolved in Texas. Benson has had a past with the law with boating while intoxicated, resisting arrest, and DUI. I imagine that Goodell wants to discuss the matter with Benson to hear his side of the story. Hopefully he will not face any missed time this season as the Bengals have planned much of their offense around him.

No comments: