With the NBA Draft right around the corner on June 25th it is time for our first annual NBA Mock Draft. Thanks to writer Matt we had a successful NFL Mock Draft and I will take the reins for the NBA draft. Outside of the first few picks it is tough to prognosticate but I selected players based on need and talent level.
1. LA Clippers- Blake Griffin PF/C (Oklahoma)
Consensus #1 pick, no real doubts here.
2. Memphis Grizzlies- Hasheem Thabeet C (Connecticut)
Pair a dominating big man with OJ Mayo and they are making the right steps.
3. Oklahoma City Thunder- James Harden SG (Arizona St.)
Excellent scorer but even better floor general, will be a leader immediately.
4. Sacramento Kings- Ricky Rubio PG (Europe)
Rubio proved his worth in the Olympic games, only 18 years old so a lot of upside.
5. Washington Wizards- Jordan Hill- PF (Arizona)
Has bulked up at the PF position, similar to Chris Bosh, has good range.
6. Minnesota Timberwolves- Tyreke Evans PG/SG (Memphis)
Can play both PG and SG but would be most effective as a SG with the ability to run.
7. Golden State Warriors- Brandon Jennings PG (Europe)
Very athletic and very quick, he struggles at times with his jumper.
8. NY Knicks- Stephen Curry PG/SG (Davidson)
Can absolutely fill it up, he can spot or create off of the dribble.
9. Toronto Raptors- Jonny Flynn PG (Syracuse)
Very fast and deceptively strong, Flynn plays with great composure.
10. Milwaukee Bucks- Jrue Holiday PG (UCLA)
A lot of hype coming out of high school that was not completely realized at UCLA.
11. New Jersey Nets- DeJuan Blair PF (Pitt)
Big physical body, should be able to bang at this level and contribute for the Nets.
12. Charlotte Bobcats- Demar DeRozan SG (USC)
Very long and athletic, the prototypical NBA wing player, should thrive.
13. Indiana Pacers- Gerald Henderson SG/SF (Duke)
Very smart athletic player who will complement the personnel in Indy.
14. Phoenix Suns- James Johnson SF (Wake Forest)
Versatile player who can use his huge wingspan to both pull up and attack the rim.
15. Detroit Pistons- Jeff Teague PG (Wake Forest)
Quick and explosive, good defender, should fill a void in Detroit.
16. Chicago Bulls- BJ Mullens C (Ohio State)
The missing piece in Chicago, Mullens would be a good pickup for the Bulls.
17. Philadelphia 76ers- Ty Lawson PG (North Carolina)
Philly has been looking for the next Iverson and may have found it with Lawson.
18. Minnesota Timberwolves- Terrance Williams SG (Louisville)
I think one of the sleepers in this draft, Williams shoud contribute right away.
19. Atlanta Hawks- Tyler Hansborough PF (North Carolina)
Hansborough is smart and athletic, we will see if his game translates to the NBA.
20. Utah Jazz- Wayne Ellington SG (North Carolina)
One of the best shooters in this draft should help Utah immediately.
21. New Orleans Hornets- Earl Clark SF (Louisville)
A versital combo guard, good defense and good shot.
22. Dallas Mavericks- Darren Collison PG (UCLA)
Very high basketball IQ, will thrive working with veterans in Dallas.
23. Sacramento Kings- Omri Casspi SF (Israel)
The stereotypical tall foreign player with a good shot and gritty play.
24. Portland Trailblazers- Eric Maynor SG (VCU)
Extremely smart player, can score in droves, quick and smart player.
25. Oklahoma City Thunder- Damion Jones SF (Texas)
Very tall and athletic, can rebound the ball on both ends very well for his size.
26. Chicago Bulls- Marcus Thornton SG (LSU)
Four year player out of LSU, Thornton will be a solid role player for the Bulls.
27. Memphis Grizzlies- Derrick Brown SF (Xavier)
Tall and lanky for his position, left handed shooter who finishes well at the rim.
28. Minnesota Timberwolves- DaJaun Summers SG (Georgetown)
Great size for a SG can play both inside and out.
29. LA Lakers- Toney Douglas- PG (Florida State)
Strong and tough player, not very flashy but efficient, excellent body control.
30. Cleveland Cavaliers- Taj Gibson PF (USC)
Good length and athletic for his position soft touch around the rim.