Thursday, June 18, 2009

Paging Drew Stubbs.....

Willy Taveras can now officially be called the Corey Patterson of 2009 for the Reds. I didn't like the Taveras signing from the start and now we may see him in the lineup for a long time since Dusty Baker has a man crush on him. How can you have a guy batting lead-off when they're hitting .219 and have an on-base percentage of .270! Sorry Taveras but I think 200+ at-bats is enough to prove your worth!

If you want a spark in your offense bring up Drew Stubbs from Louisville. What does the kid have left to prove? He currently has a team best .304 average and a .392 on-base percentage.

Not to mention he has a better glove than Willy. Plus, Taveras was signed by the Reds to get on-base and then steal bases. He only has 13 this year when Stubbs has 25 in Louisville. Also, Stubbs has yet to produce and error in the outfield this season.

Off the topic, Homer Bailey has only given up 14 runs in his last 10 starts and during this time has posted a 6-3 record with a 1.83 ERA, just saying....

3 comments:

Brandon said...

Wily Tavares has to succeed for this team to succeed. He is the missing link. He started off well, but since he has gotten cold so have the Reds. Maybe Stubbs can fill that role. We need a leadoff hitter than can get on base and is willing to steal. So, I agree, its time for Stubbs to get his shot.

I want to mention that Paul Janish, when playing regularly, was hitting over .300 and played really good defense. But, since May 25th he has had a total of 9 at bats. Why? He has shown to have just as much range as Gonzalez and Gonzalez is hitting just .219 (and before a week long hot streak two weeks ago he was under .200 for the season). Look at Gonzalez's career numbers, the hitting may not get better. I want Janish to get his shot at SS.

Matt said...

I agree Brandon...Taveras is the missing link and key to this team...he started the first 20 games or so hitting well over .300 so he can definitely do it. When he was hitting well, the Reds were winning. I dont think its time just yet to give up on him though I do think Dickerson should be given more chances in CF since he has played well.
I like Stubbs and wish he was here but their just isnt room with the outfielders right now. Plus, I dont think you can say Stubbs has a better glove. Really debatable if you are throwing that out their without ever even seeing Stubbs play.

XU said...

I'm just going on based on what I hear about Stubbs. We know he has the speed just like Willy but I've also heard he has a great arm. It's debatable since all I've seen on him are you tube videos and highlights but zero errors isn't a bad thing this season for Stubbs. Willy has committed three so far this season and had seven last year.