Though my opinion doesnt matter a whole lot, I would like to go on record with my take regarding the recent departure of Xavier basketball coach Sean Miller. These opinions may ruffle some feathers, but Im not afraid of the criticism. Feel free to comment. By the way, remember that I was correct in saying Miller would leave Xavier for Arizona. Ill tell you why.
1) Xavier AD Mike Babinski screwed up. First, he stated that Xavier was willing to match any offer from Arizona. Miller returned from an Arizona visit on Sunday without a move in place. In fact, he had turned down the initial offer. He returned to Xavier hoping that Babinski would match the 2 million + offer, but Babinski instead sat on his hands. Xavier made no attempt to match and Miller later changed his mind and accepted to Arizona offer. Ive got new for you Babinski, if you want to keep a coach, especially a coach as coveted as Miller you need to pay the man. The offer from Arizona was reasonable and one Xavier very easily could have matched.
2) Jordan Crawford got screwed (and for that matter several other Xavier players). Some players came to Xavier specifically for Miller. In fact, Crawford even sat out a year to do it only to see Miller leave for another program. The NCAA needs to review this rule and change it in order to give some value to the players as well.
3) If you think Sean Miller went to Arizona simply because of their NCAA tournament appearances you are mistaken. Yes they have been to 25 straight. However, he had been going to the NCAA with Xavier. Outside of the money, Arizona gives Sean Miller the opportunity to play in a major conference and most importantly win a national championship (even though that wont be in the near future). At Xavier, the chance for an NCAA title was zero, unless a change of conference occurs.
4) I don't think Sean Miller is that good. He is good yes, but great or above average no. Yes he is young and yes he coached several teams to deep NCAA runs. However, I believe that was a product of a good program at Xavier and good players more so than a great coach. Maybe he was good behind the scenes in practice, that I do not know. I know he was good person, but that alone doesn't win games. To me, Miller showed a man that was a good recruiter but not a great one. He also displayed only average game coaching. Though this is only my opinion and may change with age, I saw him lose games coaching that Xavier should have won as well as a team that tended to play down to some competition at the same high rate that they played up to good teams.
5) John Groce should be the next Xavier coach. He is a former Xavier assistant who currently coaches at Ohio University. He knows the "Xavier Way" and is highly regarded as big time recruiter. He was the main recruiter for Thad Matta at OSU.